I often ask this question when speaking to a group of leaders. The response is usually thoughtful deliberation. So, right now, let me ask, “Would you follow you?” If not, why should anyone else?
Before you can lead others, you must first lead yourself. Here are a few steps to help you become the best leader you can be.
Step ONE: High Character Leader
Can you be counted on to do the right things the right way?
5 Attributes of a High Character Leader
- Integrity – This involves a person’s character. It means you are whole.
- Trustworthiness – They can be trusted to do the right thing.
3, Emotional intelligence – They have an awareness of others and their needs.
4. Humility – They are teachable and open to feedback: it is not about them.
5. Passionate – they are committed, all in, and accountable. They lead by example and their energy is infectious.
Step TWO: A Called Leader
- They are guided by deeply held values and those values will permeate the decisions they make and the leadership they provide.
- They have a purpose and overall direction to their actions.
- They see the “big picture” and can articulate it to others in an inspirational way.
Step THREE: Emotionally Healthy Leader
- They control their anger! Few emotions are as powerful and destructive as anger.
- They do not display fear and worry; instead, they bring hope, joy, and perspective.
Step FOUR: Intellectual Leader
- They study; they are learners and competent in their responsibilities.
- They are readers; this is essential not only for serious study but effective leadership.
- They are continuous learners. If you are a leader and not committed to lifelong learning, you will soon be obsolete.
- They have a mentor. Each of us needs a mentor to sharpen us and speak into our lives.
Step FIVE: Relational Leaders
- They care about the people they lead.
- They invest time with people to build relationships.
- They are empathetic.
- They seek to understand and find ways to serve team members.