A Study by the Public Agenda Foundation
Ten Things Employees Want:
1. To Work with People Who Treat Me with Respect
Today, employees have more options; not to mention it is wrong to be disrespectful.
2. To Experience Interesting Work
A way to make work more interesting is to explain the WHY. Also, give team members more autonomy.
3. To Receive Recognition for Good Work
Recognizing good work is part of a leader’s job.
4. To Have the Chance to Develop Skills
You want employees to develop their skills, right?
5. To Work for People Who Will Listen to Ideas to Make Things Better
Listening to your employees is a good thing.
6. A Chance to Think for Themselves
If you don’t want them to think for themselves, why not use a robot?
7. To Be Able to See the End Result of Their Work
Is the work significant; does it matter?
8. To Work for Efficient Managers
People don’t want to waste their time.
9. A Job that is Not Too Easy
We all want to be challenged.
10. To Feel Well Informed
Good communication goes a long way; no one likes to be in the dark.
Notice what is not on the List:
• More Pay
• More Benefits
• Vacation Time
• Job Security
Fulfilling the ten things employees want can produce satisfied employees and in turn, better productivity.