As you begin 2021, approach the New Year with better focus and more discipline.
In my Quest of the Keys Personal Development System, there is an entire section on goals. Goals are a part of my daily disciplines. Each day, I write down my Top 3 Goals on a 3 X 5 index card; imprinting their importance on my brain.
Studies have shown less than 5% of people have goals. Less than 3% write them down each day, and less than 2% pass the SMART test.
SMART- Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant, Time-sensitive!
Goal setting, when done right, is a powerful tool. Specific, measurable goals give much-needed focus to your energy and passion.
In addition to having SMART goals, your goals need to have “lead measures.” For example, if one of your goals is to lose weight; is that a goal? No! It is not SMART. Here is how you make it a SMART goal.
My goal is to lose 30 pounds in the next year.
Is it specific? Yes
Now, using the above goal of losing 30 pounds, here are the “lead measures.”
Goal – lose 30 pounds
- Exercise 45 minutes a day, three days a week
- Limit desserts to once a week
- Drink 64 oz. of water a day
- Eat sensibly and healthy each day; reduce calories, limit fried food.
Review your lead measures daily/weekly. If you are not moving toward your goal, adjust the lead measures. Remember goals cause us to stretch. They should be challenging us to do more than normal.
It has been said the only bad goal is one set too low for challenge.
Six Reasons for Establishing Growth Goals
- Can move us from mediocre maintenance to a worthy destination.
- Presents a challenge that will help us stretch beyond the ordinary.
- Presents a clear picture of where we want to go and how we plan to get there.
- Gives us an orderly plan to achieve our goals.
- Provides a focus; especially important in today’s world.
- When we reach goals, we are encouraged to set new goals for the future.
Goals are tools that require daily discipline. The power of goals lies in the direction, focus, and accountability they provide.
Make 2021 a great year with the help of a few goals!